Have you ever thought about applying for a breastfeeding friendly grant?
Breast Feeding Grants:
This grant fund is to support communities to encourage and support breastfeeding through breastfeeding friendly premises or venues. Kent businesses and organisations including voluntary, community and social enterprise groups can apply for a £1,000 grant from Kent County Council (KCC) to make their premises more breastfeeding friendly for customers.
Many venues already provide safe and comfortable places for mothers to feed their baby while out and about in Kent and now, more cafes, restaurants, shops, hairdressers and health and beauty salons are among the places being encouraged to apply for funding to make it easier to breastfeed away from home.
Grants to help Kent become more breastfeeding friendly are being funded by the Start For Life programme. To learn more about this initiative visit kent.gov.
Kent County Council’s Director of Public Health, Dr Anjan Ghosh, said: “Breastfeeding has valuable health benefits for both mother and baby, especially in the first few months.
“Women also have a legal right to breastfeed in a public space but finding safe, comfortable places for mums to feed their baby when they are away from the comfort and convenience of home really helps.”
Training staff to support mothers, and offering a family-friendly area where a mum can feed a baby while keeping an older sibling occupied with books, toys or drawing, are just two actions that can make breastfeeding easier.
Other adaptions businesses and organisations can make include:
- installing ramps for easy access for pushchairs and buggies
- introducing hands-free technology, such as a voice-activated app, for ordering services such as food or drink, and
- promoting breastfeeding resources including:
- putting up a #BesideYou sticker or poster to show all customers that you support breastfeeding mothers. Visit the We Are Beside You website for more details, or email the team directly at email@example.com
- joining the #BesideYou social media accounts including Facebook and Instagram accounts to let mums in Kent know that they are welcome to breastfeed at your venue
- visiting the Kent Community Health Foundation Trust’s Kent Baby website, and
- the NHS Better Health Start for Life
Visit nhs.uk for information about:
- the National Breastfeeding Helpline
- NHS – Start for Life – Breastfeeding, and
- NHS – Start for Life – Feeding Your Baby.